What follows are many excuses as to why some believers and non-Christians have either stopped or rarely read the Bible. I hope that you do not find yourself in any of these categories.
- It is no longer relevant for our culture today.
- The Bible is simply a history book.
- The Law no longer applies to our personal lives.
- It is old-fashioned and politically incorrect.
- The Bible is basically homophobic and sexually outdated.
- It’s just a book written by men.
- There are many truths to be considered in man’s evolvement and not just the Bible.
- I have been enlightened through my university studies, my peers, my political party and my openness to other sources.
- The Bible is full of violence from an angry God.
- I was convicted by what I read and felt guilt.
- It’s 2016: feelings, thoughts, truth and life has changed significantly.
Perhaps you have heard others and could add to this list. I pray that none of these are excuses for you to avoid God’s word. Consider this verse from The Book:
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges [exposes] the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)