Recently my wife and I had the privilege of spending a weekend with some young married couples on a retreat. Amidst our time together, we desired to ask them a question. That question went something like this: If you were given the chance to share with a younger couple just entering into marriage, what advice would you pass on to them? What follows is some of the excellent input we were given.
- Pick your battles by asking yourself if it’s worth the possibility of an argument?
- Pray about the area that is bothering you before jumping into it with your spouse.
- Lay down your single routines in order to pick up your couple routines.
- Communicate your expectations in multiple ways.
- Give one another extra measures of grace, knowing you both need it.
- Learn one another’s communication style by learning one another’s love languages.
- Over communicate.
- Engage in some form of mentorship.
- Keep dealing with the areas of needed change in your life and take ownership for your issues.
- Forgive quickly.
- Get into the habit of praying together.
- And always, each and every day, put God first.
Pretty sound advice from those with a few years of marriage under their belt.
2 thoughts on “What a Group of Married Couples Recommend for Your Marriage”
I wish I read this 3 years ago
Thank you! And for us, 40 years ago…!!!